Students match letter cards into pairs.
- Sets of letter cards with 6 matching pairs of letters
- Show students how to create an array of cards
- Demonstrate the game with a student
- Give each pair a set of cards
- Start with a minute of free exploration
- Ask students to create their array
- Remind students when they draw a card they must say what it is aloud and place it face up in its place
- The same student draws a second card
- If the cards match, they remove both cards
- If it does not match, both cards are turned face down
- Students should be encouraged to help each other and to play in team
- When both students feel they know all six letters, they call the teacher over to demonstrate letter naming of the six letter
Students focus on the short a sound.
"Short a makes the a sound in had."
"d makes the d sound in dad."
"Together a-d makes the ad sound in mad."
"Let's say these words together."